To facilitate banking transactions smoothly, you need credit cards in Germany that are user-friendly and have an appropriate credit limit, providing you with convenience in financial transactions.
And it will assist you in completing various banking transactions, whether it’s withdrawing, depositing, purchasing online, and other financial matters.
Today, we provide you with a comprehensive guide on the best credit cards in Germany, which offer you an unparalleled financial experience. This article is presented to you through AlmanyPedia, the German encyclopedia.
Also, learn how you can protect your credit card in Germany from fraud, theft, and scams.
In addition to that, find out the most prominent fees and the range of credit card issuance fees in Germany. Follow our article to get your comprehensive guide so that you don’t have to navigate between different websites.
Best Credit Cards in Germany
German banks always strive to provide the best financial experience for their customers, whether within Germany or abroad, and a fundamental part of financial transactions is conducted through credit cards.
Therefore, here is a list of the best credit cards in Germany that you can obtain within Bavarian territory:
- Hanseatic Bank Genial Card
- Santander 1Plus Visa Card
- Barclaycard Visa card
- Comdirect Visa Card
- Gold Mastercard
- Mastercard Black & White card
- Mastercard VIABUY Card
- Money2Go Prepaid Mastercard
- Mastercard Commerzbank card
You can also learn more about the best banks in Germany for freelancers.
Hanseatic Bank GenialCard
The Hanseatic Bank Genial Card is considered one of the best credit cards in Germany that you can obtain. The issuing bank provides a mobile application that you can download on your phone, enabling you to easily use the card.
When you obtain the Hanseatic Bank Genial Card, you will enjoy several other benefits, including the following key features:
- The card is issued by the bank completely free of charge, with the added possibility of receiving a reward of up to 30 euros upon card issuance from the bank.
- Obtaining instant approval for this card is possible, as once you apply for it online, you can receive it within a few days and have it delivered directly to your home.
- You will be able to benefit from a credit limit of up to 2500 euros for the first three months from the date of card issuance.
- The ease of conducting various bank transfers is one of the major advantages of this card.
- The card is issued free of charge and without any specific conditions.
- Visa provides a unique opportunity for repayment in a variety of installments without any obstacles.
- The discount card provides a 5% discount on travel bookings and a range of cruises.
- The card supports a range of unique features such as remote electronic payment and Apple Pay.
- The card’s customer service operates seven days a week, starting from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM.
You can obtain the Hanseatic Bank Genialcard through this link.
Santander 1Plus Visa Card
The second best credit card in Germany is the Santander 1Plus Visa Card, which provides you with smooth and easy travel between European countries with great convenience.
The card is not limited to cash withdrawals and deposits at ATMs in Germany only, but you can easily start using it in any spot across Europe.
Read more about the important requirements for receiving a transfer from Western Union Germany.
The card is distinguished by a wide range of features that make it among our list of the best credit cards in Germany. Some of its prominent advantages include the following:
- The registration process for obtaining the card in Germany is easy and can be done online from anywhere in the country.
- The card provides you with an opportunity for instant withdrawals from anywhere in the world without any barriers.
- Foreign currency transactions are subject to a fee of 1.50% of the total value of the amount.
- The card allows you to perform banking transactions through the ATM by making 4 “withdrawals” per month.
- The card is issued completely free of charge without any fees or special conditions.
- Similar to its predecessor credit cards, this card provides you with a special 5% discount on travel bookings.
- Technical support for the card is available 24/7, 7 days a week, to help resolve any issues you may encounter.
- The maximum daily withdrawal limit from the card is 300 euros, and the monthly limit is 2000 euros. In some cases, it can reach up to 10,000 euros, depending on the individual’s income.
You can obtain the Santander 1Plus Visa Card, which is considered one of the best credit cards in Germany, through this link.
Barclaycard Visa card
The Barclaycard Visa is considered one of the best credit cards in Germany and enjoys great popularity among the German public due to the high quality it provides to its users.
You can benefit from the card in many banking aspects, and here are the main features that the card offers so you can understand why it is famous among Germans.
- Once you request the card from the relevant authority, you will receive an immediate gift of 50 euros.
- You can easily obtain the card online, but you will need to verify your identity either through VideoIdent or PostIdent.
- The card is free, and there are no monthly or annual fees when opening the account and obtaining the card.
- By obtaining your first card, you have the opportunity to receive additional cards, “if desired,” for up to three family members.
You can also learn more about how to open a bank account in Germany for non-residents.
- You can make contactless electronic payments, which is one of the advantages of using a card, as well as easily withdraw cash from any ATM worldwide.
- The card supports all payment methods, including Google Pay and Apple Pay.
- The credit limit for the card is 1500 euros per month, and the minimum repayment is 50 euros or 3.5% of the total outstanding amount.
You can obtain the Barclaycard Visa, which is one of the best credit cards in Germany, through this link.
The DKB-VISA-Card, which you can obtain by simply opening a bank account with DKB bank, is considered an easily accessible card with privileges that make it one of the best credit cards in Germany today.
Some of the prominent features of the DKB VISA Card include the following:
- Registering and obtaining the card takes only 5 minutes online, with just the confirmation of your identity required.
- The card does not require any fees to be issued by DKB bank, and you also won’t need to pay any fees to open an account with the bank.
- The card allows you to withdraw money from any ATM of any bank worldwide with ease.
- If you liked the card and would like to get a second card for any member of your family, you will be able to obtain it free of charge.
- The withdrawal limit on this card is not very high but is suitable, estimated at 1000 euros per month without the need for income verification documents, and can reach up to 15,000 euros if the required income verification documents are provided.
You can obtain the DKB VISA Card, which is considered one of the best credit cards in Germany, through this link.
The Mastercard Gold card is considered one of the best credit cards in Germany, which you can obtain and benefit from for conducting various banking and financial transactions.
The card guarantees you many benefits that you won’t be able to obtain with any other credit card, including the ease of activating the MasterCard Gold in Germany.
One of the most well-known features of the Mastercard Gold card includes the following:
- The card has a monthly credit limit of up to 5000 euros.
- The card can be obtained completely free of charge without any fees.
- The card does not have any annual fees that you will need to pay.
- The card provides you with the experience of withdrawing money from any ATM around the world.
- To obtain a Gold MasterCard, you will not need to fulfill complex requirements as obtaining the card is unconditional.
You can obtain a Gold MasterCard through this link.
Mastercard Black & White card
The Black and White Card by Mastercard is considered one of the best credit cards in Germany due to its numerous features. It is highly recommended by many individuals who work online and make purchases in various foreign currencies.
Read more about the features of the Amazon Visa card in Germany and how to obtain it.
One of the prominent features of the Black&White Mastercard card includes the following:
- The card does not have any annual fees associated with it.
- In order to obtain the card, you simply need to visit the official website of MasterCard and start the registration process to acquire it, while confirming your identity.
- The card is valid for a period of up to 3 years, and after this date, it needs to be renewed.
- An easy-to-use application has been provided, which is linked to the card for ease of use and purchasing online and other banking services.
Drawbacks of the Mastercard Black&White card
The card has a number of features that make many people want to acquire it, but it also has its drawbacks that make many bank customers reluctant to have it. Among the prominent drawbacks that come with the card are the following:
- To obtain the card for the first time, you are required to pay a card issuance fee of approximately 90 euros.
- When recharging the card for online purchases or for conducting various banking transactions, 1% of the amount value is deducted.
- A monthly deduction of 2 euros will be applied if your account linked to the card remains inactive throughout the month.
- A deduction of 5 euros is applied when withdrawing money from the card in Germany and other countries abroad.
- The foreign currency exchange fee is estimated at 2.50 euros.
- The customer service for the card only speaks German.
Mastercard VIABUY Card
MasterCard ViaBuy is considered one of the best credit cards in Germany.
The card is easy to obtain and can be easily topped up with any amount of money. It has many features that make it a popular banking card for many people in Germany and beyond.
You can also learn more about Commerzbank in Germany and its services.
Some of the prominent features offered by the card to its holders include:
- The possibility of free shipping for international bank transfers.
- Providing an easy-to-use application through which you can perform various banking transactions.
- Both the customer service for the card and its dedicated application are available in English, making it easy to interact with them if you do not speak German. However, it is recommended to learn the German language to facilitate communication with Germans in various aspects of life.
Disadvantages of the VIABUY Mastercard:
However, despite the numerous advantages that the card offers, it is not without its flaws, which may lead to dissatisfaction among some users. Among the prominent drawbacks that deter prospective cardholders are the following:
- To obtain the card for the first time, you need to pay a fee of up to 69.90 euros.
- The annual fees paid on the card amount to 19.90 euros.
- If your account remains inactive for a period of up to one year, a deduction of 10 euros per month will be applied thereafter.
- To withdraw money from the card, whether inside or outside Germany, a fee of 5 euros will be deducted.
- If you want to make a purchase in currencies other than the euro for any product from anywhere in the world, a deduction of 2.75 euros will be applied to each transaction in a foreign currency.
You can obtain a VIABUY Mastercard card through this link.
Money2Go Prepaid Mastercard
The Money2Go Prepaid Mastercard is one of the best credit cards in Germany that you can obtain and benefit from.
This card provides you with an impressive experience in various banking transactions and has many features that make it popular among the German and Arab population in Germany. Some of its prominent advantages include:
- The card issuance website and its associated application operate in the English language.
- The customer service for the card will respond to you in English for ease of communication if you are not proficient in German.
- The card provides you with an easy-to-use application that allows you to easily link the card to it for monitoring your account and conducting banking transactions through it.
Also, read more about Kuwait Turkish Bank in Germany and its services.
Drawbacks of Money2Go Prepaid Mastercard
However, we have become accustomed to certain drawbacks associated with some credit cards in Germany, which counterbalance their advantages, thus providing a clear picture for anyone interested in obtaining a card. Among the prominent drawbacks that we must caution you about and clarify are the following:
- The fee for issuing the card for the first time is 10 euros.
- A yearly fee of 8 euros is deducted starting from the second year.
- If your account remains inactive for three months, a monthly fee of 2.50 euros will be deducted.
- When receiving a bank transfer to top up the card, a deduction of 1 euro is made on the transaction.
- When withdrawing cash from an ATM inside or outside Germany, a fee of 5 euros is deducted.
- When purchasing with foreign currencies other than the Euro, a deduction of 2.5% is applied to the total amount being purchased.
You can obtain the Money2Go Prepaid Mastercard, one of the best credit cards in Germany, through this link.
Mastercard Commerzbank card
The Commerzbank Mastercard is one of the best credit cards in Germany, which you can obtain and surpasses many other mentioned credit cards on our list for today.
The card has several features that have encouraged many customers throughout Germany to start researching its details and benefits. Some of the prominent features that the card offers include the following:
- The card can be obtained without paying any fees, unlike previous credit cards.
- You can top up the card for free using various bank transfers.
- Providing a user-friendly and easily linkable banking application, in addition to performing all banking transactions through it.
- Providing the card application in the English language for ease of use in case you do not speak German yet.
- The customer service also speaks English, which makes it easier for you to interact and communicate with them comfortably.
You can also learn more about how to create a PayPal account in Germany easily.
Disadvantages of the Commerzbank Mastercard
However, credit cards are not without their drawbacks, which limit their usability and make them less favorable for certain customer segments. Some of the notable drawbacks associated with the MasterCard credit card are as follows:
- There is an annual fee for the card that can go up to 40 euros per year.
- If you want to withdraw money from an ATM in Germany or abroad, a fee of at least 6 euros will be deducted, along with a percentage of 1.95% of the total amount to be withdrawn. This fee is quite high.
- If you wish to withdraw an amount of money in a currency other than the Euro, the same amount will be deducted, along with an additional 1.75%.
- When purchasing with foreign currencies other than the Euro online, a deduction of 1.75% is applied to the purchased amount.
- The card does not have a website that supports the English language.
You can obtain a Commerzbank credit card, which is considered one of the best credit cards in Germany, through this link.
Fees for obtaining credit cards in Germany
So far, after we have completed mentioning a brief list of the best credit cards in Germany, we have found that there is a range of credit cards in Germany that can be obtained without paying any fees.
However, there are also credit cards that require you to pay fees ranging from 10 euros to up to 90 euros in some cards.
Therefore, from the previous list and guide, choose the card that suits you based on your financial ability to pay the fees, and also consider the advantages and disadvantages of each card.
You can also learn more about opening an account at Deutsche Post Bank in Germany
We generally advise that if you use any of the credit cards we have presented to you in the list of the best credit cards in Germany, you should promptly settle any outstanding payments to avoid impacting your Schufa reports in Germany.
Tips for protecting credit cards from theft in Germany
In order to protect your credit card from theft and fraud in Germany, there are a number of steps that we must mention to you. Like any other country in the world, Germany has its share of scammers. Here are some of these steps:
- Do not disclose the PIN number of your card to anyone, regardless of their relationship to you.
- Make sure not to write your PIN code on the card “in case you forget it” and keep it saved on your phone, for example. If it gets lost, you expose yourself to danger.
- You should know that banks in Germany do not communicate with their customers to obtain banking card information for purposes such as updating data or other matters. You should be cautious about fraud attempts using such methods.
- Do not fall for email messages requesting any banking information in exchange for promising a large sum of money. These are all tricks to steal from you. Be careful!
- The direct text messages that come to your phone claiming that there is a specific update or that you have won something and you need to send your data and information for data review and prize inclusion are usually fraudulent, and you should be cautious of them.
These were a collection of the most common tips and tricks in Germany, along with an important piece of advice for keeping your credit card in good condition.
It is important to keep it in a safe place away from any metallic objects that may scratch the card or have a negative impact due to certain waves in order to preserve it in good condition for as long as possible.
How to obtain an online Visa card in Germany
All the credit cards mentioned in our list are considered among the best credit cards in Germany, and you do not need to visit any branch of the bank you belong to in order to obtain them.
It is sufficient for you to access the official website of the card, start applying for it, prove your identity, submit the application, and wait for approval to obtain the card. It will be delivered to your doorstep in Germany with ease.
Also, read about the working hours of Sparkasse Bank in Germany.
The importance of a prepaid Mastercard in Germany
Prepaid cards provide you with the opportunity to obtain a specific amount of money known as the credit limit. With this credit limit, you can purchase anything through the best shopping websites in Germany or various stores that accept Visa payment.
And this amount is available to you even if you don’t have a balance in the account originally. You can make purchases with it and start repaying it to the bank within the specified repayment period without any interest.
This duration is determined by each bank, and you should inquire about it. In case of delay, the amount is to be repaid in installments with a specific interest rate set by each bank individually.
Questions asked by others about the best credit cards in Germany
What is the best travel credit card for Europe?
Two of the best credit cards in Germany that offer travel discounts, both within Europe and worldwide, as well as hotel reservations, are the Santander 1Plus Visa Card and the Hanseatic Bank GenialCard.
What is the best prepaid card?
The best prepaid cards for many citizens and Arabs in Germany are prepaid Mastercard cards, despite their high issuance fees, they are distinguished in this field.
What are the disadvantages of using a Mastercard?
One of the main drawbacks is the high cost when initially issued, as well as the annual renewal fees and discounts imposed on the card in case of account inactivity. Additionally, there are fees for cash withdrawals, and significant increases in the discount rate when making online purchases in different currencies.
Therefore, we have presented to you a selection of the best credit cards in Germany, from which you can choose the most suitable one for you based on their features and drawbacks.