The Federal Statistical Office in Germany presents distressing data indicating an exacerbation of the problem of poverty among children and teenagers in the country, with the number of those at risk of poverty exceeding two million people in the year 2022.
A million children in Germany live below the poverty line
- The official figures from the Federal Statistical Office indicate that the number of children and teenagers under the age of 18 threatened by poverty reached nearly 2.2 million individuals in the past year.
- The office indicates that the percentage of children at risk of poverty reached 14% of this age group.
- It is observed that parental education significantly affects the likelihood of children and adolescents experiencing poverty. Children with parents having a low level of education had a poverty rate of 37%, while this rate was 14% among children with parents having a moderate level of education, and it did not exceed 6% among children with parents who have higher qualifications.
Challenges and Impacts:
- The report indicates that a person at risk of poverty in Germany is someone whose income is less than 60% of the average income for all residents of the country.
- This problem has resulted in at least five percent of the population in the country struggling to enjoy a vacation for a minimum of one week annually, highlighting the severity of social division in Germany.
- German left-wing leaders emphasize that the solution lies in increasing wages, improving pension benefits, adopting consistent policies to combat inflation, and ensuring child poverty protection.
Evolution over the years:
- It appears that the problem has exacerbated over the years, with the percentage of underprivileged children unable to spend a one-week vacation increasing from 15% in 2011 to 22% in 2017, and rising again to 19% in 2021.
- It can be said that the situation has become more challenging in recent years, as children’s ability to enjoy a decent life and benefit from leisure and recreational opportunities has declined.
These shocking figures show serious challenges that the German society faces in fighting poverty among children and adolescents. It is necessary to adopt serious and integrated policies to improve the economic and social situation of these innocent individuals and guarantee a decent life and equal opportunities for all in the country.
You can also follow the latest news in Germany today on a daily basis by subscribing to our free notification service.